Happy New Year to all of our friends across the world. As we reflect on the many happy moments of 2010, we are so grateful for the wonderful campers, staff members, friends and alums who are such an important part of our lives.
Sanborn Western Camps had an exceptional year in 2010 and as we move forward into 2011 it is appropriate to share some of the things we are most thankful for during the past year:
- We had an extraordinary group of campers and staff at High Trails, Big Spring, and Sanborn Junior. Countless new friendships were formed, thousands of songs were sung, and laughter was shared every day in many places.
- We explored the Colorado outdoors together and gained the many benefits that time spent with nature provides: enhanced creativity, reduced stress, stronger social relationships, and a healthier lifestyle.
- Fifty-four different groups from camp stood on the summit of one of the eighteen Colorado mountains we climbed last summer.
- Our wonderful wranglers took our already excellent horse program to the next level, creating more opportunities for teaching and learning the skills of horsemanship and for exploring our beautiful land on innumerable trail rides and multi-day trips.
- Our fabulous cooks created delicious meals from fresh ingredients three times a day and their homemade breads, pastries, and cookies continue to win high approval ratings.
- Our superb maintenance crew rebuilt the tents on HKL Ridge, restored the outside logs of the Big Spring Lodge, built a new deck on the Big Spring Health Center, renovated the dishroom in the Big Spring Lodge, renovated the kitchen in the High Trails Lodge, and kept all of our buildings in good shape.
- Our committed alums and camp friends continued to support our Sanborn 60 Capital Campaign so generously that we were able to continue facility renovation and offer a record number of scholarships to deserving young people.
For these and so much more, we are extremely grateful.
And, as we look ahead to 2011, we are especially excited about the friendships and adventures that will occur at Big Spring, High Trails, and Sanborn Junior next summer.
Mike and Julie will be heading out in mid-January with the new digital slide show about a summer at Sanborn Western Camps and look forward to seeing many of you as they tour the Midwest. Beginning January 19, they will visit Denver, Santa Fe, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Kansas City, St. Louis, Chicago, and Boulder. Those of you who are on our mailing list will receive information in the mail and all the details are posted on the website. It is a great program and takes less than an hour so save the date!
Jerry will head to the East Coast late this month for “Reconnect with Sanborn” events in Greenwich, CT, and New York City on January 30. He is looking forward to seeing many alums and friends of camp at these events. We are also planning a giant “Reconnect with Sanborn” event in Denver on February 27.
Enrollment is well underway for 2011 and many of our age groups are over half full. We are always happy to send our brochure, DVD and references to interested families.
We hope that you have the happiest New Year ever!